Education is essential to truly understanding Bipolar Disorder. You may find the following books, websites, and information helpful for you, but because they have not been especially recommended for you or your child by Dr. Goldman please do not consider them medical advice.
- The Bipolar Child by Dimitri & Janice Papolos.
- Bipolar Disorders: A Guide To Helping Children and Adolescents by Mitzi Waltz
- Survival Strategy for Parenting Children with Bipolar Disorder by George Lynn M.D.
- Straight Talk About Psychiatric Medications by Timothy Wilens, M.D.
- What works for bipolar kids: Help and hope for parents, By Pavuluri, M.
- Bipolar kids: Helping your child find calm in the mood storm by Greenberg, R.
- Undersanding bipolar disorder: A developmental psychopathology perspective Miklowitz, D.J. & Cicchetti, D.
- Raising a moody child: How to cope with depression and bipolar disorder by Fristad, M.A., & Arnold, J.S.
Books on Bipolar Disorder in Adults:
- An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison (about a psychiatry professor coping with bipolar disorder)
- New Hope For People with Bipolar Disorder by Dr. Fawcet
For Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
See www.lighttherapyproducts.com for light equipment for dealing with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).
Psychotherapy is often essential in healing from these problems. Therapeutic interventions can be very helpful to deal with past failure, traumatic situations, painful memories, anger management, etc.
- Jonathan Scott Halverstadt 559-977-4999
- Linda Pepper PhD 415- 883-8332 or 707-429-7181
- Michael McGrath 415-883-8336 or 707-429-7181
- Emmett Miller, MD 530-478-1807 for PTSD, stress management, ‘Deep Healing’ and to learn autohypnosis for sleep: For emergencies 530-478-9575; or 530-559-9496 Los Altos office 650-559-9772; Monday – Wednesday.
- Wendy Richardson in Capitola, CA 831-479-4742
- Jean Nunes, LCSW at 530-755-1766 or 530-671-3109; for PTSD – Hypnotherapy; in Yuba City, CA.
- Julie Anderson PhD 925-938-4100 in the Walnut Creek area
- Reena David, MFT 415-302-6408 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Susan Rold, LMFT in Roseville 916-965-5487
EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Retraining) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) An Internet search for practitioners is suggested, or you might contact Jennifer Lendl at 408- 244-6186 or Joan Levitt in Berkeley, author of Small Wonders a book about using EMDR with Children.