Depression and other Mood Disorders
Education is essential to truly understanding Depression and Mood disorders. You may find the following books, websites, and information helpful for you, but because they have not been especially recommended for you or your child by Dr. Goldman please do not consider them medical advice.
Depression and other Mood Disorders Resources
Books on Dealing with Depression and other Mood Disorders:
- The Mindful Way through Depression by Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel Segal & Jon Kabat-Zinn
- The Feeling Good Handbook by David Burns, MD
- Mind Over Mood by Christine Padesky, Ph.D.
- Depression-Free, Naturally, by Joan M Larson, PhD
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness by Daniel G. Amen
- An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, & Distress Tolerance (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by Matthew McKay, Jeffrey C. Wood, and Jeffrey Brantley (Jul 2007)
- Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky
For Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
See mts medical supply for light equipment for dealing with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).
Psychotherapy is often essential in healing from these problems. Therapeutic interventions can be very helpful to deal with past failure, traumatic situations, painful memories, anger management, etc.
- Jonathan Scott Halverstadt 559-977-4999
- Linda Pepper PhD 415- 883-8332 or 707-429-7181
- Michael McGrath 415-883-8336 or 707-429-7181
- Emmett Miller, MD 530-478-1807 for PTSD, stress management, ‘Deep Healing’ and to learn autohypnosis for sleep: For emergencies 530-478-9575; or 530-559-9496 Los Altos office 650-559-9772; Monday – Wednesday.
- Wendy Richardson in Capitola, CA 831-479-4742
- Jean Nunes, LCSW at 530-755-1766 or 530-671-3109; for PTSD – Hypnotherapy; in Yuba City, CA.
- Julie Anderson PhD 925-938-4100 in the Walnut Creek area
- Reena David, MFT 415-302-6408 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Susan Rold, LMFT in Roseville 916-965-5487
EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Retraining) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) An Internet search for practitioners is suggested, or you might contact Jennifer Lendl at 408- 244-6186 or Joan Levitt in Berkeley, author of Small Wonders a book about using EMDR with Children.
Most of these books are available on www.Amazon.com or www.bn.com or at the Special Needs Project at www.SpecialNeeds.com or (800) 333-6867.