Social Skills Training
Many patients with emotional, learning, or behavioral struggles have issues in relationships with others. Relational skills are essential to success in life. Social skills groups can be helpful. I recommend that you look into finding a social skills group through the school or in the community.
Social Skills Training Resources
Programs for Social Skills Deficits:
- I heartily recommend the books, CDs, videotapes and educational handouts of Michelle Garcia Winner, SLP, MA, CCC. Visit www.socialthinking.comor email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 408-879-0508 or 408-557-8595.
- For social skills groups in the San Ramon area contact Sandie Frawley PhD at 925-846-2413.
- For social skills groups in Walnut Creek contact Ability Resources Center Director: Glenn Gelfenbein LMFT 925-932-3912 ext 1
- In Berkeley, contact Maria Antoniadis, PhD 510-665-9326
- Linda Haynes runs local high school and junor high social skills groups 925-932-3912
- Websites for social skills programs
- Dating and relationships for people on the spectrum
Teaching Social Skills at School:
- The Walker Social Skills Curriculum by Hill M. Walker
- Social Communication by M. Ann Marquis
- That’s life – Social Language by Nancy McConnell
- Help –Middle School: Handbook of Exercises for Language Processing by Andrea Lazzari
- Aspergers Syndrome: Success in the Mainstream Classroom by Coulter Video www.CoulterVideo.com
- That’s Life – Social language Nancy McConnell and Carolyn LaGuidice