Many patients with emotional, learning, or behavioral struggles have issues in relationships with others. Relational skills are essential to success in life. Social skills groups can be helpful. I recommend that you look into finding a social skills group through the school or in the community.
Programs for Social Skills Deficits:
- I heartily recommend the books, CDs, videotapes and educational handouts of Michelle Garcia Winner, SLP, MA, CCC. Visit www.socialthinking.com or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 408-879-0508 or 408-557-8595.
- For social skills groups in the San Ramon area contact Sandie Frawley PhD at 925-846-2413.
- For social skills groups in Walnut Creek contact Ability Resources Center Director: Glenn Gelfenbein LMFT 925-932-3912 ext 1
- In Berkeley, contact Maria Antoniadis, PhD 510-665-9326
- Linda Haynes runs local high school and junor high social skills groups 925-932-3912
Teaching Social Skills at School:
- The Walker Social Skills Curriculum by Hill M. Walker
- Social Communication by M. Ann Marquis
- That’s life – Social Language by Nancy McConnell
- Help –Middle School: Handbook of Exercises for Language Processing by Andrea Lazzari
- Aspergers Syndrome: Success in the Mainstream Classroom by Coulter Video www.CoulterVideo.com
- That’s Life – Social language Nancy McConnell and Carolyn LaGuidice